Mama and I (ahem) made these Apam Polkadot / Apam Funky yesterday. So similar to coconut blossom and we even used coconut for the fillings. We have been seeing these apam everywhere from facebook to blogs!
Apam Polkadot (recipe from Rozzan’s)
3 eggs – straight from the fridge
275g plain flour
220g castor sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ovalette / sponge stabilizer
fillings – blueberry / strawberry / nutella / coconut / etc
1. Add in all ingredients and beat with maximum speed (around 6-8 min) till fluffy.
2. Divide the batter and add food colouring accordingly.
Now you’re ready to do the piping!
3. Put in paper cup and pipe in the batter to act as base.
4. Then, add your fillings! Do not be too stingy. Heh.
5. Fill up the paper cup till 3/4 full to allow the batter to rise while baking later.
6. Now, let your imaginations run wild.
You can dot them (Apam dot dot, hehe), zig zag them, smiley face them!
Our pink and green colourings are too light for my liking. Purple is nice!
“Chicken pox” apam. My creativity is pretty much limited.
The outcomes – *after steaming them for approx 10mins with medium heat. Can see the fillings for some.. Maybe we didn’t put enough batter. :S
Dot dot is slightly difficult to do. Zig zag is way faster.
Can you see my expanding heart? <3